The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) is effectively affixing the seals on the door of its Tbilisi field office on June 30 and wrapping up its 17-year monitoring operation in the Georgian-South Ossetian conflict zone.
The chances of preserving international observer missions in the separatist territories of Abkhazia and South Ossetia look slim, as Russia continues to insist that their respective mandates be amended to reflect "new realities" that Moscow contends arose from recent military hostilities with Georgia.
OSCE officials are taking a step back in order to move forward with talks aimed at keeping an observer mission in Georgia. Despite loud denials by Russian diplomats, Western states identify the Kremlin as the key obstacle to an agreement.
Addressing a recent gathering of war veterans in Moscow, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said the short conflict that pitted his country against Georgia last summer once again demonstrated the expediency of developing "new, truly reliable approaches to ensuring international security."
Despite a recent agreement on extending the mandate of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe's unarmed military monitoring contingent to Georgia, efforts to save the OSCE's mission to the region from closure have so far brought no results.
Participants to the Permanent Council of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe on February 12 reached consensus on extending the mandate of the OSCE's unarmed military monitoring mission to Georgia until June 30.
A wind of revolt is blowing among Georgian diplomats. Two months after the defection of Irakli Alasania, Tbilisi's envoy to the United Nations, it's now the turn of Viktor Dolidze, the Georgian ambassador to Austria and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
Of all the priorities the Greek chairmanship of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) has set itself for 2009, maintaining a field presence in Georgia appears to be the most important.
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) on December 22 said it had decided to close down its 200-strong field mission to Georgia.
Four months after Georgia attempted to forcibly reassert its authority over South Ossetia, the leader of this self-proclaimed republic is facing a new challenge. Former separatist officials now based in Russia have launched what resembles a public campaign against Eduard Kokoity's administration. At stake is control over Moscow's post-war financial aid to South Ossetia.